« Home | The Squinting Guy » | The Heart » | The Naked Guy » | The Beach Tree » | The Banana Sculpture » | The Bugs » | The Lovers » | The Food » | The Colors » | The Calla Lily » 

Sunday, August 08, 2004 

The Climber


This is Megan at Baker Beach. I am posting this photo because of what she accomplished on this particular staircase. The staircase was probably over 1/4 of a mile long and virturally straight up and made of shifting logs and loose ropes. There were quite a few places where the log stairs were buried and you had to trudge uphill through soft sand. Just a couple months ago, before weight loss surgery Megan would not have attempted this trek but she did it at the beach! She met me at the top of the hike beet red, out of breath, angry and sore but all I saw was a woman that just keeps on fighting to be the person that she truly wants to be! I am really proud of her for everything that she accomplishes. This was a big deal for both of us! Posted by Hello

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Hey Honey! Thanks so much for the never ending support that you show me. This climb was quite the trek for me...I honestly thought I was going to die! It was funny because from standing at the beach and looking up the hill it only looked about an 1/8 of a mile long and it looked like it had stairs all the way up. I soon found that it was up hill and mostly just sinking sand with no stairs at all and once I got to what I thought was the top it dipped down and had about another 1/8 of a mile to go. Even more than being proud of myself though, I was proud of you! You passed me up and hiked up that hill like it was nothing! I felt awful that you had to wait at the top for me for so long...but knowing you were at the top waiting for me was what kept me working my way up! Before your trip to Mexico (where you walked everywhere) you would have had a much harder time getting up the hill as well. You too are getting healthier...together we are both fighting to get healthier. Me, with my WLS, for the purpose of trying to have a longer and healthier life; and you, with your liver disease, trying to be healthier and happier for each day you have left here. It's an amazing journey for us to fight these battles together each day and find ways, in each other's arms, to make each day count!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ruben
  • From Modesto, California, United States
  • This space could be a million lines long but I will try to make a long story short. In April of 2003 I was diagnosed with a rare terminal liver disease and treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma in my neck. Because of the combination of diseases and amount of liver damage, doctors estimate that I have between 2 and 5 years to live. Hence the name of this site, "Each Day Counts." If I cannot win this battle I will fight, love and travel until the very end!
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates