« Home | The Poet » | The Beautiful Day » | The Best Holiday! » | The Heaven Song » | The Road Trip » | The Tamborine Man » | The Private Investigator » | The Drama Patient » | The Pretty Girls » | The Life Movie » 

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 

The Past Year

I realize that we are now 11 days into this New Year and that this posting is late but I will go ahead with it anyhow. Last year was a very eventful year for me and I am very happy to be able to be here writing this today. I am tired today after spending the past weekend with family out of town and spending yesterday trying to rest but I am alive and healthy and that is all that matters.

I woke up next to Meg again this morning and that is always the very best part of my day. It is incredible how much she changed last year after her weight loss surgery. Her confidence in herself is so much greater now and that makes her so much more beautiful to me. I hope that my relationship with her really blossoms this year as it has it the past. This is our third year together and I feel like our relationship needs to progress a bit farther. I am scared about this in a way but at the same time I understand in my heart that we were meant to never part. I will always walk by her side.

In regard to 2004, many great things occurred in the world but many terrible things happened also. Florida got destroyed by the spinning fury of Mother Nature and as I write this people affected by the recent tsunamis are fighting to make new lives for themselves. It seems like more natural disasters happen every year. My grandfather used to say that when there are fires and floods and war that the world was coming close to an end. That may not be the case but it is interesting to think about. The world is really going crazy.

The past year also saw many wonderful people pass on. We lost a true super man when Christopher Reeve died and we also lost another amazing actor, The Godfather, Marlon Brando. The music industry saw Ray Charles move on but he came to life again in a sense in an amazing movie about him called, “Ray.” If you have not yet seen this movie you must see it. Several critics raved that actor, Jamie Foxx was actually channeling Charles in this film. His performance was amazing and it would be an injustice if he does not win the academy award for best actor.

Another entertainer that we lost was Rodney Dangerfield. He was known for complaining that he got no respect but he certainly had mine. He changed the face of comedy when he started a career late in life by inspiring many, many comedians to try to do the same thing.

The last entertainer that I would like to mention is Jerry Orbach. Even though his name does not ring a bell to many you probably know who he is. He played the sarcastic and troubled detective Lennie Brisco on the television show Law and Order for twelve long years and once said that he was not sure where he ended and Lennie began. Orbach was also one of Broadways greatest song and dance men. Memories of him will never fade away.

As each year passes more and more events come into play and more and more people move on and that is just the way things move. There are 365 days in every year. That is 365 opportunities to wake up and smile and love and pray and make a difference in the world. Ever since I became ill I have been trying to understand how to live better.

I guess that I should simply live like EACH DAY COUNTS!

Smile today and check in again sometime soon when you have a chance.

Ruben, this is the you I love!!!!

While your health updates and feelings about the time we spend with your girls are equally important, post like these are what I'd like to see more of. I love when you show your true passions about topics and people. In reading this I can hear excitment in your voice. And as always, thanks for the nice things you say about me!

I love that you are showing the world a little bit of who you are through this journal, and also showing those closest to you deeper sides that they may not have otherwise seen. Keep up the good work and never stop writing! You truely are talented, and my hero!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ruben
  • From Modesto, California, United States
  • This space could be a million lines long but I will try to make a long story short. In April of 2003 I was diagnosed with a rare terminal liver disease and treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma in my neck. Because of the combination of diseases and amount of liver damage, doctors estimate that I have between 2 and 5 years to live. Hence the name of this site, "Each Day Counts." If I cannot win this battle I will fight, love and travel until the very end!
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates